By Brooklyn Frontiera, Career Services Coordinator
Career Services is hosting its annual Job Fair on Wednesday, April 18th, from 4-7pm at the Sports and Expo Center, but are you prepared?
More than 200 employers are already registered for the fair, and with each of them bringing several job openings, we are talking at least 500 open positions – and one of them could be yours!
With all these wonderful prospects in our own backyard, as a job seeker you need to come ready to talk. So, here are a few of our best tips to help you be your best:
- Research the employers that are going to be there. Here are the companies currently registered to attend: https://bit.ly/2GYAclD. Target who you want to talk with, look at their websites and take notes to bring with you.
- Dress to impress. We have seen it all, from pajama pants to bathing suits. Treat the job fair as if it is an interview, because it really is. For men, wear a suit or at least dress pants and a button-up shirt with a tie. Ladies, a pant or dress suit. Let them see you for you.
- Update your resume and bring several copies. Stop into Career Services and we can help you freshen up your resume. We’re at South Campus, G309 and Center Campus, H109.
- Practice your elevator speech. If you don’t know what that is, check out this great video to help you create one: https://youtu.be/Lb0Yz_5ZYzI
- Attend our Job Fair Success Seminar! We have a one-hour presentation with question and answer opportunities, checklists and giveaways. Check us out April 10, 2pm at Center H219, or April 11, 2pm at South G309.
Even if you aren’t exactly sure what you want to do, the Job Fair is a great way to make connections, build your network and research your career field. Arrive early, prepared and organized, and you’ll already be ahead of the pack. We hope to see you there!